WASHINGTON, D.C. — The U.S. Division of Vitality (DOE) immediately launched three reviews displaying file progress in land-based wind power, vital enlargement of the pipeline for offshore wind tasks, and continued decline in the price of wind power era – laying the groundwork for vital future good points because the Biden Administration pursues fast acceleration of renewable power deployment to achieve its purpose of 100% clear electrical energy by 2035.
“These reviews include such terrific information: the U.S. put in a record-breaking quantity of land-based wind power final 12 months. They underscore each the progress made and the capability for far more reasonably priced wind energy to return – all crucial to achieve President Biden’s purpose of a decarbonized electrical energy sector by 2035,” stated Secretary of Vitality Jennifer M. Granholm. “At DOE, we are going to double down on efforts to deploy extra wind power across the nation as we additionally pursue applied sciences to make generators even cheaper and extra environment friendly.”
Extra wind power was put in in 2020 than every other power supply, accounting for 42% of recent U.S. capability. The U.S. wind business helps 116,800 jobs.
The 2021 version of the Land-Primarily based Wind Market Report, ready by DOE’s Lawrence Berkeley Nationwide Laboratory, detailed a file 16,836 megawatts (MW) of recent utility-scale land-based wind energy capability added in 2020 – representing $24.6 billion of funding in new wind energy tasks. Different findings from the report embody:
- Wind power offered greater than 10% of whole in-state electrical energy era in 16 states. Most notably, wind energy offered 57% of Iowa’s in-state electrical energy era, whereas wind offered greater than 30% of electrical energy in Kansas, Oklahoma, South Dakota, and North Dakota.
- New utility-scale land-based wind generators have been put in in 25 states in 2020. Texas put in probably the most capability with 4,137 MW. Different main states embody Iowa, Oklahoma, Wyoming, Illinois, and Missouri — all of which added greater than 1,000 MW of capability in 2020.
- Wind generators proceed to develop in measurement and energy, resulting in extra power produced at decrease prices. The common nameplate capability of newly put in wind generators grew 8% from 2019 to 2.75 MW.
- Wind turbine costs have steeply declined from ranges seen a decade in the past, from $1,800/kW in 2008 to $770–$850 per kilowatt (kW) now.
- The well being and local weather advantages of wind power put in in 2020 have been valued at $76 per MWh, far better than the price of wind power.
The 2021 version of the Offshore Wind Market Report, ready by DOE’s Nationwide Renewable Vitality Laboratory, discovered that the pipeline for U.S. offshore wind power tasks grew to 35,324 MW, a 24% improve over the earlier 12 months. Different particulars of the report embody:
- The Bureau of Ocean Administration created 5 new wind power areas within the New York Bight with a complete of 9,800 MW of capability, representing a lot of the 2020-2021 progress of the U.S. pipeline.
- The Block Island Wind Farm (30 MW) off the coast of Rhode Island and the Coastal Virginia Offshore Wind pilot (12 MW) are the primary two tasks working off U.S. coasts. Massachusetts’ Winery Wind I grew to become the primary accepted commercial-scale offshore wind power venture in the USA.
- Massachusetts, North Carolina, and Virginia all elevated offshore wind procurement targets in 2020 and early 2021. In whole, state targets grew by 15,600 MW, from about 24,000 MW by 2035 in 2019 to nearly 40,000 MW by 2040.
The 2021 version of the Distributed Wind Market Report, ready by DOE’s Pacific Northwest Nationwide Laboratory, famous that eleven states added a complete of 14.7 MW of capability, 1,493 generators, and $41 million for brand new funding in distributed wind installations in 2020.
- Cumulative U.S. distributed wind capability stands at 1,055 MW from greater than 87,000 wind generators throughout all 50 states, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and Guam.
- Agricultural and residential clients accounted for the biggest share of distributed wind tasks put in in 2020 (36% and 24%, respectively), whereas utility and industrial clients accounted for the biggest share of distributed wind capability put in (58% and 37%, respectively).
- Small wind retrofits — new generators put in on current towers and foundations — have develop into extra widespread, accounting for 80% of small wind capability put in in 2020.
The three market reviews can be found at power.gov/windreport. To be taught extra about DOE’s wind power analysis, go to the Wind Vitality Applied sciences Workplace homepage.