Winter storm might convey mixture of snow, sleet, freezing rain to areas of Southeast, together with Carolinas.
Clients who expertise energy outages can textual content ‘OUT’ to 57801, or name Duke Power’s automated outage-reporting system.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. – With snow, sleet and freezing rain anticipated within the Carolinas this weekend, Duke Power is prepared to answer doable energy outages.
As Duke Power’s staff of meteorologists continues to watch the storm’s growth, Duke Power crews are making preparations to securely deal with weather-related service interruptions.
Heavy, moist snow or freezing precipitation could cause timber and tree limbs to fall or sag onto energy strains, leading to energy outages. These outages usually happen when there’s greater than six inches of moist snow or 1 / 4 of an inch of ice accumulation on timber.
“Clients must be ready for a wintry combine that can convey with it the potential to trigger outages in our service space,” stated Jason Hollifield, Duke Power Carolinas storm director. “Throughout the Carolinas, we have now energy line and tree crews, and different storm personnel, prepared to securely reply to energy outages this weekend.”
Duke Power is bringing in practically 600 teammates from the corporate’s different service areas, together with the Midwest and Florida, to help with energy restoration throughout the Carolinas.
The corporate has additionally secured roughly 1,000 employees from different utilities who’re scheduled to reach within the Carolinas by Saturday to assist restore energy shortly and safely to impacted clients.
As Duke Power has carried out all through the COVID-19 pandemic, storm crews will comply with social distancing protocols whereas on obligation and dealing to revive energy to make sure security for each clients and crews.
Winter storm security reminders
Climate will be unpredictable, so it’s all the time good to be ready for no matter situations happen.
Clients can take steps to securely put together for winter climate and outages that will influence them by doing the next:
- Guarantee an satisfactory provide of flashlights, batteries, bottled water, non-perishable meals, medicines, and many others., in addition to the provision of a conveyable, battery-operated radio, TV or climate radio.
- Clients ought to make alternate shelter preparations as wanted if you can be considerably impacted by a lack of energy – particularly households who’ve particular medical wants or aged members.
- If an influence line falls throughout a automotive that you simply’re in, keep within the automotive. When you MUST get out of the automotive as a consequence of a hearth or different fast life-threatening scenario, do your greatest to leap away from the automotive and land on each toes. Make certain that no a part of your physique is touching the automotive when your toes contact the bottom.
- Bear in mind that snow could cause hazardous driving situations leading to visitors accidents and downed energy poles leading to remoted outages. In case you are driving and encounter emergency responders or different roadside work crews, bear in mind to MOVE OVER.
- When you use a generator as a consequence of an influence outage, comply with the producer’s directions to make sure protected and correct operation. Function your generator exterior; by no means function it inside a constructing or storage.
- Don’t use grills or different out of doors home equipment or tools indoors for house heating or cooking, as these units might emit carbon monoxide.
- Steer clear of energy strains which have fallen or are sagging. Contemplate all strains energized in addition to timber or limbs involved with strains. Please report downed energy strains to Duke Power or native emergency providers.
Reporting energy outages
Clients who expertise an influence outage ought to report the outage utilizing Duke Power’s automated outage-reporting methods for his or her respective utility:
- Clients can report an outage by texting OUT to 57801 or may additionally report an outage or view present outages on the Duke Power app or at www.duke-energy.com/outages.
- Duke Power Carolinas: 1.800.POWERON (1.800.769.3766)
- Duke Power Progress: 1.800.419.6356
Duke Power can even present updates on its social media channels to maintain clients knowledgeable if important outages happen:
View B-roll of storm preparations and winter storm energy restoration efforts
Duke Power (NYSE: DUK), a Fortune 150 firm headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., is one in all America’s largest vitality holding corporations. Its electrical utilities serve 7.9 million clients in North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky, and collectively personal 51,000 megawatts of vitality capability. Its pure fuel unit serves 1.6 million clients in North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Ohio and Kentucky. The corporate employs 27,500 individuals.
Duke Power is executing an aggressive clear vitality technique to create a wiser vitality future for its clients and communities – with targets of at the very least a 50% carbon discount by 2030 and net-zero carbon emissions by 2050. The corporate is a high U.S. renewable vitality supplier, on monitor to personal or buy 16,000 megawatts of renewable vitality capability by 2025. The corporate is also investing in main electrical grid upgrades and expanded battery storage, and exploring zero-emitting energy technology applied sciences resembling hydrogen and superior nuclear.
Duke Power was named to Fortune’s 2021 “World’s Most Admired Corporations” checklist and Forbes’ “America’s Finest Employers” checklist. Extra info is on the market at duke-energy.com. The Duke Power Information Middle comprises information releases, reality sheets, photographs and movies. Duke Power’s illumination options tales about individuals, improvements, neighborhood subjects and environmental points. Observe Duke Power on Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram and Fb.
Media contact: 800.559.3853