On his first day in workplace, President Biden mobilized an unprecedented, complete response to the COVID-19 pandemic—standing up a historic vaccination program that has gotten 220 million People absolutely vaccinated and over 100 million folks boosted, and investing in different lifesaving instruments, together with COVID-19 therapeutics.
One of the vital efficient therapies in our nation’s medication cupboard is Paxlovid, an oral antiviral capsule, which reduces the danger of hospitalization or demise by about 90 %. Since Paxlovid was first approved in December 2021, the Administration has moved rapidly to make sure that these therapies are extensively accessible and that well being care suppliers and sufferers learn about their availability and efficacy. These efforts embody a Take a look at-to-Deal with initiative to assist make it simpler for folks to rapidly entry oral antiviral therapies in a single handy location. There at the moment are greater than 2,500 Take a look at-to-Deal with areas throughout the nation at native pharmacies and neighborhood well being facilities—up from 2,200 a month in the past.
The Administration’s actions thus far have resulted in super progress: We now have dramatically elevated the variety of folks benefiting from oral antivirals within the final seven weeks, from about 27,000 prescriptions stuffed every week to greater than 182,000 final week—a greater than six-fold enhance. We now have additionally doubled the variety of websites the place Paxlovid is out there nationally.
Due to the work the Biden Administration has achieved on vaccines, boosters, therapies, and extra, COVID-19 deaths are down 90 % from when the President took workplace—at the same time as circumstances rise in elements of the nation. The instruments that the Administration has made extensively accessible to the American persons are working to forestall critical sickness, to maintain folks out of the hospital, and to save lots of lives.
The instruments we now have now imply that we will forestall most COVID deaths. The Administration stays laser-focused on ensuring that these lifesaving instruments are extensively accessible to each American who wants them. To that finish, right this moment, the Administration is asserting the launch of the primary federally-supported Take a look at-to-Deal with web site, with extra deliberate within the coming weeks.
At present’s announcement consists of:
- Launching the primary federally-supported Take a look at-to-Deal with web site in Rhode Island: At present, Rhode Island will formally launch the nation’s first federally-supported Take a look at-to-Deal with web site at a clinic in Windfall. Federal reimbursement will now enable people who check constructive for COVID-19 on the clinic to instantly obtain an evaluation from a medical supplier and get oral antiviral therapies—if prescribed—multi function handy location that serves a few of the state’s highest-risk and hardest-hit populations. The clinic additionally at present gives vaccination, which means that federal assist will assist improve this web site into being a real one-stop store for people to guard themselves and their communities from COVID-19.
- Deploying scientific personnel to assist state-run Take a look at-to-Deal with websites in Minnesota: Within the coming days, the Administration will deploy scientific personnel to assist staffing throughout a number of of Minnesota’s state-run testing websites, remodeling them into Take a look at-to-Deal with websites that can co-locate testing, an evaluation from a medical supplier, and oral antiviral therapies. This direct federal assist will enable Minnesota to increase the capability and attain of Take a look at-to-Deal with, making these lifesaving oral antiviral therapies extra extensively accessible statewide.
- Launching extra federally-supported Take a look at-to-Deal with websites within the coming weeks: The Administration will open federally-supported Take a look at-to-Deal with websites in New York and Illinois within the coming weeks, and is working with different areas like Massachusetts and New York Metropolis to reinforce present state-led efforts to extend entry to oral antivirals like Paxlovid.
At present’s bulletins construct on the numerous actions the Administration has taken over the previous a number of weeks to extend entry to oral antivirals and enhance well being care supplier and affected person consciousness, together with:
- Doubling the variety of locations the place oral antivirals can be found: In late April, the Administration acted to make it simpler for native pharmacies to order oral antivirals instantly from the federal authorities. Because of this, oral antivirals at the moment are accessible at nearly 40,000 handy areas nationwide—up from roughly 20,000 a month in the past. This implies practically 90 % of People now stay inside 5 miles of a spot the place they’ll decide up their prescriptions for oral antivirals, together with native pharmacies, hospitals, pressing care facilities, neighborhood well being facilities, rural well being clinics, Veterans Affairs clinics, and Division of Protection Medical Therapy Services.
- Guaranteeing equitable entry to oral antivirals: According to the Administration’s unwavering dedication to fairness, 40 % of the pharmacy websites that now have oral antivirals accessible are situated in communities with the very best ranges of social vulnerability. To make sure each equitable geographic placement and equitable administration to weak populations, we now have additionally referred to as on all websites shelling out oral antivirals to gather strong demographic information on people receiving prescriptions for COVID-19 therapeutics. This demographic information will enhance our capacity to establish—in actual time—any gaps in entry and work to promptly alleviate these gaps.
- Increasing the variety of Take a look at-to-Deal with websites in communities and their attain: Over the previous a number of weeks, the Administration has labored with its federal pharmacy and neighborhood well being heart companions to increase the footprint of Take a look at-to-Deal with websites in communities and to reinforce total affected person expertise. Which means it’s even simpler for folks to make appointments and to entry therapies. There at the moment are greater than 2,500 Take a look at-to-Deal with areas throughout the nation at native pharmacies and neighborhood well being facilities—up from 2,200 a month in the past. These Take a look at-to-Deal with websites present folks streamlined entry to COVID-19 checks, well being care supplier visits, and in the event that they want it, prescriptions for oral antivirals. As well as, People can now discover many well being care suppliers on the Take a look at-to-Deal with locator that helps telehealth visits to find out if oral antivirals are acceptable. Walgreens has made antiviral therapies accessible in all of its rural and excessive Social Vulnerability Index (SVI) areas, and CVS and Kroger have added telehealth-based supplier visits to assist folks get a prescription rapidly.
- Supporting well being care suppliers with extra steerage: Within the final month, federal well being companies have issued up to date steerage to assist well being care suppliers keep updated on the most recent science and navigate drug-drug interactions and contraindications. The Facilities for Illness Management and Prevention has issued two Well being Alert Notifications highlighting accessible COVID-19 therapies, significantly Paxlovid. The Nationwide Institutes of Well being has up to date its remedy tips with extra data to assist suppliers perceive drug-drug interactions. And, the Meals and Drug Administration issued a FAQ and created an eligibility screening guidelines to assist suppliers get this remedy to all sufferers that want it.
- Offering extra assets for the immunocompromised: The Administration continues to prioritize protections for immunocompromised people. This consists of making certain that immunocompromised people have free and easy accessibility to extra booster photographs, and making pre-exposure prophylaxis medicine like Evusheld extensively accessible and free to assist these with reasonably and severely compromised immune techniques mount an ample immune response to COVID-19. As a part of the Administration’s ongoing dedication, we proceed to make sure immunocompromised people have easy accessibility to the very best and newest info on federal web sites about vaccines and Evusheld, together with highlighting this info on covid.gov. Moreover, the Administration continues to have interaction supplier organizations representing clinicians that care for almost all of immunocompromised sufferers to guarantee that they’re doing every thing they’ll to make sure that all sufferers who would profit from Evusheld are knowledgeable and provided the chance to obtain the remedy.